The Trademark Licensing program, which operates under the direction of Operations & Business Services (OBS), promotes and protects the use of George Mason University trademarks, including:
- Ensure proper use of the trademarks associated with George Mason University.
- Strengthen trademark recognition and use through relationships with retailers, licensees, campus departments, students, organizations, alumni, and fans.
- Generate revenue that funds scholarships and programs.
WHAT'S MASON TRADEMARK
Trademarks are primary visual representations for George Mason University and valuable assets in all aspects of operations and services. Properties such as names, designs, logos, and/or derivatives are owned by George Mason University. The unauthorized use of such material is illegal and thereby punishable by law.
Mason departments, colleges, organizations, and other internal units may not assign rights or otherwise grant permission to any other entity to use Mason’s trademarks without prior review and approval by Operations & Business Services, Creative Services, and/or University Counsel.
To streamline the usage of Mason trademarks, Mason partners with CLC to manage and market its trademarks.
For information about licensing, royalty rates, and procedures within and outside of the United States and its territories and possessions, please contact George Mason University’s licensing agent CLC:
1075 Peachtree Street, Suite 3300
Atlanta, GA 30309
For information concerning George Mason University’s Trademark Licensing program, please contact:
David C. Atkins
Executive Director, Business Partnerships and Licensing
George Mason University
Merten Hall, Suite 3200
4400 University Drive, MS 4A1
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
TRADEMARK LICENSING GUIDELINES
Maintaining a consistent and professional image is important to the success of the Mason brand. Please review the guidelines below for proper usage of marks, names, and logos before producing any Mason branded products. All products and designs bearing Mason’s trademarks must be submitted for approval prior to usage.
CMYK: C=100 M=0 Y=83 K=47
CMYK: C=0 M=30 Y=100 K=5
CMYK: C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=0
Pantone Process Black C
CMYK: C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=100
George Mason University ®
GMU ® (Bookstore use only)
George Mason Patriots ®
Mason Nation ®
George Mason ®
Mason Patriots ™
We Are Mason ™
- Approved University Colors listed here must be used
- University seal permitted on products for resale (reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
- No alterations or overlaying graphics to seal permitted
- University Licenses consumables must have an expiration date on the packaging
- University licenses health and beauty products
- University permits numbers on products for resale
- Mascot caricatures permitted
- Cross licensing with other marks may be permitted with an additional agreement
- No use of current players’ names, images, or likeness is permitted on commercial products in violation of NCAA rules and regulations
- References to alcohol, drugs, or tobacco related products may be used in conjunction with University marks (reviewed on a case-by-case basis)
The approval process for Mason trademark use varies based on user types. Please select your affiliation to access the design approval process and ways to obtain Mason logos.
Guidelines for student clubs and organizations; Mason departments, colleges, and organizations; Mason athletics and intramural clubs; and Mason Korea
Guidelines for commercial usage of Mason trademarks for current and prospective businesses, including license types, how to get licensed, and how to request logos
Guidelines for retailers to carry Mason-branded products in stores or online, including wholesale licensee list, selling restrictions, and consumer statistics
Report A Violation
Help us to protect the George Mason University brand! Don’t purchase unlicensed merchandise and, if you find it, please report a violation.